I just restocked my stash of this heavenly, whipped, ethically sourced, nutrient dense balm for our family… and wanted to share the deets with you, Mamas!
Now you might be thinking…
What is tallow?
- Tallow is animal oil that has been slowly and carefully kettle rendered from the suet of animals like cows or sheep.
- This particular tallow is slowly kettle-rendered from small, organically farmed, 100% grass-fed cows.
- Due to the diet and care of these cows, it gives this tallow an amazing vitamin and fatty acid profile that can only be found in animal oils.
What makes ME comfortable using tallow?
- Tallow is an animal product; therefore, it is not vegan. However, I do believe in using the whole animal and not letting it go to waste. This company also believes it is more ethical to utilize the cow fat and make something beautiful out of something that would have otherwise been thrown away. They also make an effort to know where their cows come from, and source only from small family organic farms, where cows are treated and fed well.
Why is tallow not more popular?
- Tallow was prized by generations in the past, but as chemical products became more and more popular, tallow was left behind and forgotten. Now, as people are becoming more aware of the side effects of harsh chemicals and man-made products, we find ourselves turning back to what nature had provided all along.
What are some of the nutritive benefits?
- Tallow is easily absorbed by your skin
- An amazing vitamin profile – A combo of vitamins A, D, E, and K
- The awesome fatty acid profile – These fatty acids are found naturally in youthful and glowing skin and tend to decline as we age.
- Palmitic Acid- Protects skin from the environment and smooths.
- Omega 7 (Palmitoleic Acid)
- CLA – Calms inflamed skin and kills bacteria.
- Stearic Acid – found in our own oils, this amazing fatty acid brings moisture to the skin, softens, rejuvenates and has anti-inflammatory properties. Helps with collagen and elastin
- Omega 9 (Oleic Acid)
- Awesome carrier to the other oils and helps penetrate those nutrients deep into the skin.
What do you use it for?
- Makes a great makeup remover/oil cleanser
- Body moisturizer
- Hand moisturizers
- All three of my guys love it
- Spot treating blemishes as they heal
What’s it feel like?
- Its a heavenly whipped texture… Almost like a mousse
- A TINY bit goes a long way… too much would make you greasy
My favorite resource for this buttery soft goodness is http://flyingcowtallow.com
They offer a nice variety to accommodate various needs, and use all high quality USDA certified organic oils to accommodate their ethically sourced grass fed/finished tallow!
I would love to know if you’ve used or are excited to begin using tallow!?